April 15, 2005

Whale-Dolphin hybrid gives birth to bouncing baby Wholphin

I've heard of Ligers, Tigons, and Zorses, but who knew there was such a thing as a Wholphin?

The female calf was born December 23 at Sea Life Park in Hawaii, but the announcement was not made until this week. The mother is half bottlenose dolphin, half false killer whale (which is not an Orca). Apparently the calf is already as big as a full size bottlenose dolphin, and she has coloration similar to false killer whales. I want to see!

In other zoological news, Quentin Wheeler, formerly of Cornell (hey, I remember him), has named three new beetle species after George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld. The article doesn't say, but I heard the new species are members of the family Freepublicitae. Hmmm, I should contact my friend Mike Engel and see if he'll put me on his (very long) list for naming new hymenoptera species. I think I'd made a good parasitic wasp.

2 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this article and couldn't believe it... I didn't know that there was a previous Wholphin. I would be scared, though curious, to see just how this originally happened. Just how do they get the Whale and the Dolphin hook up? It just doesn't seem natural, but I'd watch...from a purely scientific perspective.

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out the links to the Ligers, Tigons, and Zorses (oh my). Maybe all this interspecies mating means that Star Trek couplings (vulcan/human, klingon/human) aren't so impossible after all? The mind reels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home