June 09, 2005

Steamy

The heat has finally arrived in DC, and I decided this morning that I have a new goal: While wearing work clothes, I will attempt to never allow outside air to touch my skin. I think I have a good chance of doing it. This week I started working on the BRAC Commission contract at Crystal City; and if you're familiar Crystal City, you know it's totally doable. When I leave my apartment, I get into the elevator, head down to the parking garage, and get into my air conditioned car. Then I drive to Crystal City, enter another parking garage, then go directly into the building. No need to leave for lunch or any pesky errands. At the end of the day, I go back to the parking garage, get into my car, drive home, and return to my apartment without once leaving air conditioned comfort. I wonder how many days in a row I can do this? Once I'm out of my work clothes, the rules don't apply. I can sweat myself silly on my bike, go to the supermarket, go out, or whatever. But I think I can successfully lead my life without ever venturing outdoors before 5:30 pm.

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a thrill-a-minute...

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live a life closely paralleling this - since I work at home, I rarely leave the house unless I need to take out the garbage or get the paper. I sit right next to a big window so I get lots of sunlight. When the weather is swampy, I don't miss outdoors all that much.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hilarious! I work at home, so I don't have "work clothes." But I completely understand the desire to not sweat in them :)

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also work at home...and can be found most days in shorts and a tank top + flip flops. But I make a concerted effort to put on makeup and a cute sundress every single day and get outside, and run some errands, and see people. I'm afraid of becoming a hermit...soon I will be dressing cats in sailor suits. After greeting the UPS guy twice in a bathrobe, I now make an effort to get up and be presentable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home